What do Guides do?
Guides are part of Girlguiding UK and are usually aged between 10 and 14 years old.
Guides take part in acitivities they choose and possibly run themselves, covering the five zones to
give balanced and varied programme.
- healthy lifestyles
- global awareness
- skills and relationships
- celebrating diversity
- discovery (of new experiences and adventures)
Can Anyone Join?
If you are a girl aged between 10 and 14 years of age then you can join a Guide Unit and become
part of Girlguiding UK – the biggest youth organisation for girls in the UK
So What Do Guides Do?
Guides usually meet once a week during school term time. Within the unit the girls are usually part
of a patrol which plans and undertakes activities together. At the weekly meeting the girls may
work on an activity in their patrol, as part of the whole unit or in different groups to work on badges
During their time at Guides the girls can work on:
- Go For It’s – activities they plan and undertake in their patrol,
- Challenge Badges – gained annually by all the girls
- Interest Badges – undertaken individually.
- The highest award available to a Guide is the Baden Powell Challenge – covering challenges within the five zones and attending an Adventure to compete the award.
Guides take part in various activities including:
- badge work,
- outdoor activities – such as canoeing, archery, camping and residential holidays, international trips.
- There are opportunities to take part in national activities and more local activities – Big Gig (a Guide only Pop Concert), Scoutabout (joint Scout and Guide Activity Weekend), Rugby Taster Day
The Guide Promise is:
I promise that I will do my best:
To be true to myself and develop my beliefs
To serve the Queen and my community,
To help other people and
To keep the Guide Law
The Guide Laws are:
A Guide is honest, reliable and can be trusted.
A Guide is helpful and uses her time and abilities wisely.
A Guide faces challenges and learns from her experience.
A Guide is a good friend and a sister to all Guides.
A Guide is polite and considerate.
A Guide respects all living things and takes care of the world around her.
How Can You Go About Joining a Local Unit?
You can register your interest in joining a unit on the Girlguiding UK website on the Get Involved