Girlguiding Surrey West is a branch of Girlguiding, which with its branches forms the UK’s leading charity for girls and young women. Girlguiding Surrey West is the biggest County within London and South East England Region with a membership of around 7000 young members and adults we offer members the opportunity for adventures and fun – through weekly meetings, camps, holidays and trips, or attending bespoke events run by the county.
As a Trustee board our purpose is to ensure that the organisation meets its charitable goals, both today and for future generations of girls and women. We have a robust long-term strategy in place for the County that aims to grow and broaden our memberships so that more people can experience Girlguiding, to reduce the burden on our volunteers, and to invest in our properties.
Finance Lead Trustee
We have an exciting opportunity for a Finance Lead to sit on our Trustee board. This is a key strategic role to develop and support the financial aspects of our strategic plan. Your role will include:-
- oversight of the management treasurer who is responsible for the day-to-day operational activities such as paying expenses and maintaining records;
- being responsible for all aspects of financial risk management, including overseeing the independent review of the financial accounts;
- providing regular financial reporting at trustee meetings and supporting the board with financial matters;
- working alongside the operational management team to develop effective budgets for the County and its two residential properties – Paxmead and Herons Wey;
- keeping abreast of relevant financial legislation and best practice in relation to financial management within charities;
- ensuring County funds are effectively and ethically invested;
- review existing 0finance systems, policies and procedures for the County for payments, investments and procurement, ensuring they are fit for purpose and being adhered to.
We are looking for someone with an interest in finance with excellent communication skills to present financial information to non-financial stakeholders. Experience of using Xero or a similar accounting package from a reporting perspective would be useful. Working as part of a supportive team this is an opportunity to develop new skills to enhance your CV and to contribute to a good cause.
Renumeration: Unpaid volunteer role with reasonable expenses reimbursed.
Time commitment: 4 trustee meetings per year – normally on a Saturday morning via zoom. Plus 30 to 50 hours per year to develop annual budgets, write financial aspects of the annual report and hold discussion with the independent examiner.
Additional information: You will be required to be DBS checked for this role and have no restrictions that prevent you being a trustee.
For more information or to express an interest please contact Denise Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org